The Director of Med/Surg maintains knowledge of healthcare trends for both inpatient and outpatient populations and demonstrates the ability to apply this knowledge in clinical and administrative settings, and acts as a champion and advocate for compassionate, non-judgmental patient care.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, staff development, performance management, quality, fiscal and information management, regulatory compliance for the Med/Surg department
- Build and enhance relationships through customer relations and appropriate professional involvement
- Work closely with medical directors, medical department chairs, physicians, and other disciplines to develop services and ensure quality
- Maintain positive working relationships with patients, families, co-workers and physicians inter- and intra-departmentally
- Demonstrate knowledge of current nursing theory and practice
- Ability to set both short and long-term goals and meet these goals
- Analytical ability to identify opportunities for improvement and resolution
- Teaching skills to promote optimum orientation and continuing staff education
This 165-bed tertiary acute-care hospital has a mission to provide the highest quality, most innovative health care to the patients they serve, to maintain and enhance cooperative relationships with doctors, payers and employees and to continually improve the health of their county residents. The hospital provides the county’s only da Vinci Surgical Robot program, in addition to five services that no other hospital in San Luis Obispo County offers: Neurosurgery, High-risk pregnancy care, Pediatric care, Trauma care, Neonatal intensive care. In addition, the hospital is a designated Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission, and the Selma Carlson Diagnostic Center, and is certified by the American College of Radiology as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.