We all have different ideas of what our “dream job” looks like. For some, a dream job might mean a position that allows them to grow their clinical skillset in their specialty area while others may aspire to leadership positions that ultimately lead to the C-suite. However, more often than not dream jobs don’t just land in our lap and instead are something we must actively pursue over the course of our careers. Below are 5 steps that can help you identify pathways to achieve your own career goals:
- Find a mentor. Mentors can be someone in or outside of your organization who is well-versed in the specialty area or level of position you are working towards. They can offer insight into what skillsets are required for the position, what their own career trajectory looked like as well as providing their own professional insight on what it takes to be successful in the position.
- Ask for opportunities to shadow leaders in your organization. Many organizations offer opportunities to shadow nurses or leaders who excel at their job. Shadowing leaders can be a great way to gain insight into what their job entails on a day-to-day basis as well as what it takes to be successful in their positions.
- Take on additional responsibilities. This can mean anything from joining the float-pool to grow your skillset in different clinical areas or volunteering to work on special initiatives outside of your job scope. Either way, broadening your skillset is a great way to stand out to hiring managers, especially those looking to promote from within.
- Locate resources & career pathways within your organization. Organizations want to retain good employees and are often able to assist employees with identifying pathways that enable them to grow. More often than not, leaders are able to provide their employees with the resources they need to help advance their careers in the direction they are looking to grow.
- Identify continued education programs. Depending on what you are looking for specifically, this can mean anything from certifications to degrees that will help you get to the next level in your career. Most organizations want to invest in their employees who in turn make their organization great and are willing to provide certification assistance or tuition reimbursement.
Interested in learning more? Follow us on LinkedIn for related articles. To learn more about our Hot Jobs, visit our website. Not interested? Simply send a referral our way and you can earn up to $4,000 per referral.
For related blogs to check out:
- Did You Know-Being An Interim Leader Is A Great Way To Advance Your Career
- Career Strategy- How Interim Work Can Help You Unlock Your Long-Term Career Goals At The Executive Level
- Work Is Hard, Job Searching Doesn’t Have To Be